Sunday, November 16, 2014

Not easy



It's not easy living with someone who has a mild mental disability. If it was full blown, it might be easier to deal with because I would know and get help on how to deal with them. However, in this case - I can never tell if she is being lazy or if she really doesn't know something or can't grasp it.

One thing: I catch her in fibs. Oh hell, lets tell it like it really is, LIES. She would rather tell a white lie, or let you believe something that is not true, than to tell the truth. The husband, tells me this is a safety mechanism that kicks in when she thinks telling the truth might lead to a confrontation which she tries to avoid at all costs and is why her ex husband saw the opportunity to emotional abuse her.  She also won't ever give a yes or no answer. It's always, "I think so" or "I don't know." Its driving me batty.

Sometime this week, she will be assigned a case-worker so she can get into some services to help her.

Really - I hate to sound off like this. But it isn't easy. I can't have a regular conversation with her because she agrees with everything I say - or pretends she knows exactly what I am talking about when she doesn't.

I still love her and want to help but I really don't know what I am doing. I don't know her as a mother knows their child. I want to. I want to understand her but I guess I don't have patience. I don't know how to get through to her. At times, she is in her own world.

I honestly can't imagine her ever getting married again. She shouldn't of in the first place. That marriage did her so much damage. 




4 comments:

  1. Who says we have to have all of the answers? Seeking outside resources is the wisest choice. It is hard, though, I’m sure. I understand that from my own personal experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been trying to think of how to respond to you and the truth is, I have no clue what I would do if I were in your situation. My hat is off to you for handling things as well as you have for this long. All I can do is pray for you, dear. I hope that things get better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats okay, it was only a vent. Thanks for listening.

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts