Saturday, October 25, 2014

Germs at church



I'm not a complete Germaphobe like Monk but I could be easily if I ever got grossed out enough.

I really don't like hugging people in church - or even that "meet and greet" where everyone is FORCED to get up and shake someones hand. I hate that! Why can't we just stick up our hand and say, "Hi".  Why, is that not "Christ-like?" Especially during the cold and flu season. And now with all these other diseases floating around. I don't want to hurt any ones feelings but I guess I should just bring hand wipes and wipe after I shake a hand and not care. I'd much rather, just say, "hi" and sit down.  Church is definitely NOT for the phobic. Why can't they figure that out???

My husband and Char think I am crazy. (Father like Daughter I guess) My sons, are fine without all the hugging and shaking hands - of course they do not attend church. Actually, I haven't been to church in months. I am "between" churches. Trying to find the one perfect one!

We get together 2 times a month with friends for a home fellowship. I like that. I am comfortable with that. It seems more caring and loving and it suits me. Plus I already know them, I don't need to shake their hand. I can raise up my hand, and give a quick, "Hi" and no one gets hurt. They know me and love me, just the way I am. Now that, is Christ-like, in my book.


10 comments:

  1. The LDS Church in town actually cancelled services during a bad part of flu season a few years ago. I thought it was an excellent idea. They also cancelled public school since so many kids were out sick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never did like that greeting part of a church service. Not that I use it as an excuse for not going to church anymore but it is something that I definitely do not miss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah not a good enough excuse not to go to church.

      Delete
  3. If there is one thing I am not it's a germaphobe, I dropped food on the floor while cooking lunch and picked it up and still ate it although I do like to wash my hands often during the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny. If I drop something on my own floor I give it the 5 second rule - on someone else's floor or outside in a gross area, it gets tossed. Washing hands is a good thing.

      Delete
  4. I don't worry much about germs, but I have never enjoyed shaking a lot of hands in church. Some people are "squeezers." They squeeze my fingers so hard it hurts. I have small hands.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really worry about germs - I fight it. I know about those who are hand squeezers - I mean, what is the point of that????

      Delete
  5. At one of my bereavement group meetings one of the participants shared that sometimes all she needs is a hug. Of course one of the other participants got up and gave her a hug. While I thought it was a nice gesture, as I sat and watched the two women, I couldn’t help but think that I would not have been comfortable being the hugger or the huggee.
    Personally, for me, I would rather be held by someone I trust and love rather than hugged and back patted by an acquaintance.
    As I said, personal preference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When things like that happen, and I sit by and watch, I feel guilty -

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts