Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Saying Goodbye to Daisey Mae


A few days ago


Yesterday, I woke up as usual - around 5:15 am. Lately because it has been so hot, I get up early and Daisey and I go sit out on the patio and watch the sunrise. The birds come to visit - Ms Buster the cat, sits with us and even the neighbor cat, Quinn, stops by to greet us. I hear the neighbors sprinkler system go on and then off and it cools the air.  Sometimes, there is even a slight breeze. I drink my coffee, sit and stare -

However,  Daisey could not move. She looked up at me. Her hind quarters totally lame. She was panting a lot. I tried to get her to move, but she couldn't. Deep down inside, I kinda knew this was serious, but I wouldn't allow myself to "go there." So I brought her food to her, her water - and sat on my bed until my husband came home. I'd go over to her, and she was fine except for the heavy panting and she couldn't move.

The husband picked her up and brought her outside. Just as he did that, Navy came in the door from his night shift job and helped. She could not stand on her back legs. Her legs were like noodles.

At the vet the other day - she was depressed


To make a long story short, we had already spent $385 the other day on x-rays and blood tests - all came back normal except that she had arthritis in her ankles. They wanted to do another x-ray of her spine for another $200 but we decided, even if we did it, what could we do?  We had hit the wall.

The husband made the appointment for 1:40 pm. We all sat with her, loved on her and tried to make her comfortable. She was in pain. She did get up with help and stumbled - she was using her upper body and then collapsed. She was dragging her back legs. Pitiful to watch. She kept looking at us - TRUSTING US, to do the right thing.

I hate to see a animal suffer.

About 2 hours before - she was panting and her legs were like noodles.


At one point, about 45 minutes before, I told my husband, I couldn't do it. So this nice man, called and rescheduled it for later in the afternoon. I got crazy and started talking about wheelchairs and raising money and then I just KNEW - this was it. It was my final burst of HOPE. He was able to call back and get our 1:40 pm appointment back.

HORRIBLE! We were with her - I hugged on her the whole time. It took 3 shots to tranquilize her.  The Vet put the drip IV into her leg and we waited. By the time, the vial was empty, I felt her take her last breath. We stayed in the room with her and cried and cried. I didn't want to leave her. Such a beautiful dog AND such a waste. It all just took me by surprise.

So this has hit my husband and I hard. I've been through this before, but you never get used to it. I keep thinking I hear her - I think I see her out the corner of my eye.

I wish I could get used to this and just accept it. It takes me awhile. She was such a companion to me. 



21 comments:

  1. So sad for you. (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about Daisey Mae. Sending love and hugs your way, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart cries for you and I send healing blessings upon you and your family. It never gets easier for any of our beloved pets. Please know that I care very much and am with you in this difficult time. I have been there many, many times. Hugs to you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Denim. I hope all is going well for you.

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry for you loss. She looks like she was not too old. It's hard to lose a beloved family member.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We rescued her - she had been a stray so they guessed her age was 8 or 9 - so 11 years.

      Delete
  5. Oh, what a beautiful tribute to Daisey Mae. She was gorgeous! You had a hard decision to make. It is tough to lose a constant companion. But you were kind to Daisey Mae. I know exactly what you are experiencing, still hearing and seeing her.
    We have a 13 year old little white yappy maltese. He is starting to slow down. Hopefully he still has a few more good years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah when they get a certain age, you just know, you don't have much time. They are family and it is a loss.

      Delete
  6. I'm so sorry. It never gets easier.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started crying while reading this :( And I can imagine how you feel. Animals fill our hearts with an unconditional love. It's hard to let them go. Sending good thoughts your way :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Coffee Lady. Stopped by to bother you. Hope you are okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fine - we also went camping that weekend after. IT was good for me.

      Delete
  9. Dear Coffee Lady, I just got back from my three week blog break and am catching up with posts I've missed. I wanted to comment on this one and let you know how sorry I am that you needed to say goodbye to your Daisey Mae. I feel your pain because, almost exactly a year earlier and under very similar circumstances, Mrs. Shady and I had to say goodbye to our 14 year old Cocker Spaniel, Toto.

    http://shadydell.blogspot.com/2013/08/toto-1999-2013.html

    I know how hard it is to put a loss like this behind you. I still miss Toto every day. I'd like to think that Daisey Mae and Toto have become best friends up on Rainbow Bridge. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read your post and it made me cry. It is so hard isn't it? I feel so alone because Daisey was my constant companion. I have the kitten now, and she keeps me busy but nothing compares to Daisey and our relationship. Your Toto reminded me of another dog in my life, that passed away at age 14. Sport was a border collie/Springer Spaniel. We just couldn't bear the emptiness and that is what lead us to rescue Daisey Mae, just 2 short years ago.

      Delete
  10. Oh my goodness, your post made me cry. I am so sorry for your loss. Daisey was so beautiful. I have 3 dogs of my own and couldn't imagine losing one of them. Sending you a warm hug.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts