Monday, July 14, 2014

I'm soooooo proud of me - a People Bug Me post

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2261903/Why-praising-child-harm-good-Psychologist-claims-comments-makes-unhappy.html


That's all I hear from some young people today - as if they are still little children in daycare. Okay, I am in one of my People Bug Me Moods - and this bugs me.

They go to work and do all the things generations before them have done, yet they have to announce to everyone, "I'm proud of myself". as if they expect me to join in and also praise their mundane achievement. It's not like they have saved a life, or done anything life changing. 

It's so annoying.

Hey I was in the childcare profession for nearly 30 years in some capacity and YES, we would PRAISE the little ones for just about everything they did.

"I am so proud of you - you pooped in the big potty!"

"You used your words well. I am so proud of you."

"You ate all your dinner. Mommy is proud of you."

Blah blah blah. I honestly don't remember my parents EVER telling me they were proud of me. They told me they LOVED me. But of course my folks were tough. Why praise a child, when they are doing what they should be doing? 

"You paid your taxes! Oh I am proud of you!"

"You voted. I'm proud of you."
 

Okay so I am part of that generation that raised up a generation, who needs to be praised about everything. It's cute when they are 2 or 3 - a bit disgusting and annoying when they are 33.






11 comments:

  1. Hahaha. I hate that they all get participant trophies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, dear Coffee Lady!

    You'll be so proud of me. I just pooped in the big potty! :)

    I agree with you 100%. Parents who hand out merit badges like confetti are giving their children a distorted sense of their own importance. It's true that everyone is "special" but some kids grow up thinking they are more special than everybody else and it creates problems in their relationships with family, friends and coworkers.

    Happy Monday to you, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Mr Shady, I am proud of you. I bet Mrs Shady is too.

      Delete
  3. Especially when they continually post their minute by minute proudest accomplishments on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I blame it on the public schools and their stupid lessons about children needing self-esteem. I do just fine without any self-esteem, thank you very much.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok I am one of those people who likes to tell her girls that she is proud of them, not every day and not about every little thing they do but in general I like them to know I am proud of the women they have grown into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your girls are now grown women - you can be proud of them for becoming good women. I see no problem with that!

      Delete
  6. Kids these days get golden cups for blinking properly.
    I'm 21 so I guess I should be a part of the generation which get's all the praise from their parents... But mine don't do that. At all. And yet here I am - still living!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts