Saturday, June 21, 2014

Things will be cha cha changing




The husband started working at the VA Home about 2 years ago for a day shift. Then 6 mos after that, he was hired permanently by Cal Vet and was awarded a graveyard or 3rd shift. We made due and finally made it work. He hated it more than I did. When he would start to get down about it, I would be positive and encourage him on how well we have adapted to it. (mostly me) I can't see going on and on, complaining about it. It only makes you miserable. So the good news for him is, he will be going to a swing shift at the end of August, which actually works better for him, than a day shift. 4pm to midnight with Fri and Sat off.

Of course I have always kept a day shift.  Someone in this house has to be normal. I get up early, at the crack of dawn and have my alone time. Come Sept, I sure hope he sleeps in because I NEED that alone time. At least an hour preferably more. This new routine will cut into my day - and I am the one who will have the most adjusting to do. It looks like I will have even less "me" time alone. 

I wish I had the money to get a studio apartment - just a place for me to go - set up a office to work.

If I allowed myself, I could feel smothered and pent up - well truth is I do feel that way because there is no place for me to be alone in my own house. It's a choice. I do get cranky more than usual.

Thank God I no longer have PMS.


9 comments:

  1. Hi, Coffee Lady! I'm like you. I cherish my alone time. I am easily distracted by sights, sounds and smells when other people are in the house and have difficulty creating under those circumstances. I hope the new schedule works out for both of you.

    Hey, dear friend, I have a blog award waiting for you in my current post and I invite you to come over and claim it. Enjoy the rest of your weekend, Coffee Lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get distracted too.

      Thank You Shady, you shouldn't have!

      Delete
  2. I want a studio too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't that be totally awesome????? OMG I can only dream...

      Delete
  3. I’ve always been an early riser. Being the oldest of 6 siblings, it was alone time for me. When I had my own children, that extra hour in the morning, when they were still sleeping, was my peace for the day. My husband and I are retired. We spend a lot of time together. But I get up an hour before him, just to have my alone time.
    Working until midnight, I have a feeling that your husband will not be getting up at the same time as you. I think you will still be able to get in your time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will work out once I get used to it.

      Delete
  4. Well, I love my husband dearly but he is home when I leave for work in the morning and home when I get home at night, and I start to go a little crazy after a while. So I take a few days off of work so I can be alone in the house all day. It keeps me sane!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here, a swing shift is when you work one shift for a few days or a week, or a month and "swing" to a different shift and back and forth. When I lived in Arkansas, their swing shift was like what you call a swing shift and it sounded odd to me.
    My husband worked nights for years and it's been about a year since he got a day job and my schedule is still messed up. I just don't seem to get the same amount of stuff accomplished.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts