Monday, March 10, 2014

Earthquakes





Last night we had a bit of a shaker - 6.9 just off the coast of Eureka in Humboldt County. I was sitting with Char and Navy - they didn't feel it but boy I did. Hey I KNOW earthquakes when I feel them. They kept insisting it was not.  Until Foodie came out of his room, asking if we had just felt that.


Just before I went to bed last night.


 We Californians are pretty funny. As soon as we feel the quake, everyone starts trying to describe it (was it rolling, shaky, the duration etc) and of course, we make a game out of guessing the Richter Scale reading. THEN after that, we either call our friends and family or social media or the radio stations to then, "talk about it" all over again.

I'd say, most Californians enjoy a good shake now and then. I admit,  it excited me. Can't say I love them - but they are amazing when you look at them from a scientific-geographical point of view. And then of course the topic of "the BIG ONE" crops up.

We don't have as many fault lines up here in Northern California, however we do have 2 volcanoes. Occasionally we get a good jolt - just to let us know how insignificant we really are.


8 comments:

  1. Yep, we play the same game here, but thanks to the internet and USGA's website, we have to play it FAST. They have it nailed down within 5 minutes now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are much better than they used to be, for sure!

      Delete
  2. I've only felt one ever...in Michigan a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow really? Never felt a earthquake anywhere else by California.

      Delete
  3. Hi again. You are the number 2 news story on CNN after Justin Bieber. I wish he would go away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grrrrrrrrrrr Justin Bieber

      Delete
  4. We have only had one earthquake and I have no desire to have another one, even though the one we had wasn't that bad for us no damage to my home or anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised. Yeah the big MEAN ones are not so fun.

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts