Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Memories with my Dad

 
 North Peak, Montara Mountain - part of the Santa Cruz Mountains



I have always loved nature. My dad is the one who taught me how to appreciate every aspect of creation. Perhaps it was his Cherokee heritage or just that he loved being outdoors. Moving to California for my dad, (originally born and raised in Tennessee)  - gave him access to outdoor pleasures 365 days a year!

My folks moved from San Francisco's Haight-Ashbury just before the hippie invasion. They wanted to live closer to the ocean so we moved to Pacifica, on the San Mateo Coast.  Our living room-picture window looked up to North Peak - I stared at that mountain, every day and wondered what it was  like, up close and personal.






Eventually,  Dad and I would trek all around the coastal range in Dad's coot.  A Coot is an amphibious all-terrain-vehicle, somewhat like a jeep only BETTER! The wheels on this little contraption, could be paddles when you would hit water and could paddle through the ponds and small streams at 2-3 mph. It also had  2 separate sections on the body on this vehicle connecting by a bolt in the middle which had this small vehicle,  twisting and turning in all directions,  making it a total blast for off roading.  My mom and my sister were always scared to go with dad. Not me. The rougher the better! We'd come home, totally spent - after a day of splashing through mud and teetering on muddy mountain slopes overlooking the Pacific Ocean. It was during these adventures with my dad, that turned me onto, the natural beauty of our area.


Up and over, to the Pacific Ocean


I miss those times. 

Yesterday when I was out with Navy, looking at used vehicles, I spotted a older jeep. Oh how I wish I owned one. Coots are no longer being made. 1968-1986 - You can find one now for about $20,000. This jeep was $2000. BIG difference.



photo credit: peakery.com/montara-mountain-north-peak-california/
photo credit: Montara.com
photo credit: ebay

6 comments:

  1. That Coot sounds marvelous. I'm glad you have such happy memories of time with your dad.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was blessed to have a good dad. I miss him.

      Delete
  2. what wonderful memories, and how blessed you are to have them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing those memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I am doing a lot of reminiscing these days....

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts