Monday, February 17, 2014

Facebook, High-School and Reunions

Blogging is more enjoyable to me than watching TV. So this is a BONUS POST. I was reading Peaked in Junior High and Susie had a post about reunions, which triggered this post.




14 years old - 1st day freshmen year - Sept 68


My freshmen year was good. I met my first boyfriend (who was a popular jock) when he was a senior and I was a lowly freshmen. It took us from Sept to May, the whole school year to get up the nerve to talk to each other. Come to find out about it, he was in my art class the whole time and I didn't realize it until March of that year.  I was glued to my seat - once I found out he sat behind me.  He wasn't shy with his friends and got a big kick playing with my mind. That whole year was about my girlfriends and I spying on him (before I knew he was in my art class)

Then we became a steady couple - that lasted on and off through high school. He was attending college and many of my girlfriends still did not have boyfriends and come-on-now, girls can be catty.  (I know, because I used to be one) They started picking at me, spreading rumors - making my life miserable because I had a hot boyfriend. They were in the "Rah Rah" crowd, so I ended up with the Dopers. I cut school all the time. It's a miracle I made it through. I still have nightmares to this day, that I am about to get my report card and that my Mom is going to find out,  I cut and missed the whole quarter - which did happen!  Mom knew I hated it and always would tell me,

 "It's only 4 years out of your life."  

Mom was right! 

5 years later was our first class reunion. I was pregnant and was overdue and NO I didn't go.

10 years later - my old friend who also didn't care for High school, talked me into it. She said we would have fun checking everybody out. In other words, we had catty motives. So we lassoed our husbands (who didn't know each other) secured the babysitters and got good and drunk before we went. I wore these heels, that were very sexy, black dress with a slit.  The popular RAH RAH crowd had not changed.

senior-class photo -  June, 1972

I vowed I would never go back!  I threw away all my year books -

Years later, I join Facebook to keep up with my brother and family - I start getting all these friend requests from the catty girls from high school. I know they had the same catty motives I had - they wanted to check me out, to see how I have aged, what my life has been like. I gave them a chance. But after a while, when I would comment or try and be friendly, they would not respond to me. So I un-friended them. Sounds so high school, doesn't it?

I have about 20 school and neighbor friends on Facebook. The rest, can all kiss my yearbook!

Read: What type of student were you in School? 


16 comments:

  1. Beautiful school day memories. I too love to do blogging rather than watching TV.
    I was a chatterbox and jolly student in school doesn't care for anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was once a chatterbox too.

      Delete
  2. I was a baton twirler all 4 years; lead majorette my junior & senior years...and Senior class Social Chairman. That said, I was always on the bubble just outside of the popular group. Just outside. I am Facebook friends with about 3-4 people. None of them best friends from hs., but one was a majorette with me, and one was my very first boyfriend. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you still twirl a baton?

      Delete
  3. Beautiful senior class photo! Love how you got good and drunk and wore that sexy black dress to your reunion. The popular Rah Rah crowd never changes. I had moved away across country (NJ to CA) a few years after graduation, so didn’t go to any reunions until the 30th when I moved back East again, and that Rah Rah crowd was still the same. I had lost track of those high school classmates until Facebook, and yes, catty girls who never gave me the time of time in school sent me friend requests too! Then they were friendly for a few posts and now I never hear from them. I can relate, just like school again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some things, never change

      Delete
  4. Band Geek, Honor Society, had nice nerdy boyfriend...THEN I started hanging out with the summer job crowd, and my good behavior went downhill. I had a split personality, I guess.

    Love the pictures, especially the boots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. uh oh. Maybe it was your true antithetic self emerging.

      Yeah I was and still am, a boot person.

      Delete
  5. I went to my 5 year reunion. I had two kids, they were all single and going to college. I decided if I hadn't seen them in 5 years, why would I want to see them now. It's been a very long time since then. I occasionally talk to my BFF but none of those people have a part in my life. I wouldn't spend the time to go to another reunion. Why spend time with strangers with I can spend the time with the strange people in my own home?

    ReplyDelete
  6. At one time I was friends on facebook with all my former classmates too. Never talked to me or commented on anything I wrote. Unless they wanted a recipe. I got rid of them. What's the point. I went to one reunion and got ignored just like the good old school days. I don't need that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeahhhhh who needs that! I love how you just "got rid of them." LOL

      Delete
  7. I skipped school a lot. When I look at my yearbooks, I see the same comments over and over: "You speak Spanish so much better than everybody else" and "You play the piano so well". I've been surprised by the welcome I've received on our high school class's Facebook page. I don't stay in touch with anyone regularly, but some people I don't remember very well have been quite nice to me. Most of the names seem somewhat familiar to me, but I can't match them with faces. A lot of my friends are dead.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I can remember from the yearbook comments - mostly were "have fun in the summer" and good luck with your boyfriend"

      There was one class I hardly even went to - in my sophomore year. I was bad.

      Delete
    2. I skipped biology for the entire two weeks of dissecting a frog. The teacher had no control over the class and I didn't want frog parts thrown at me. When I returned to class with a fake excused absence slip, the teacher said he'd arrange for me to dissect a frog. I smiled and said okay. It never happened. I knew he wouldn't make any extra effort.

      Delete
    3. Gee I don't even remember dissecting a frog! I remember dissecting a long white snake that smelled.

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts