Monday, January 20, 2014

Why do droughts have to be so nice?


All of this would be underwater - Lake Shasta


We are having near perfect weather - mid 70's to 80's - sunshine every day. Our springs are not this nice. Usually cold and wet. Mud everywhere. You get some nice days but then a storm comes in and we're back to the rains. Unfortunately we are in a major drought - and while that is a bummer and is cause for concern - the nice part of droughts are - the weather. At least for now. Summer which is already hot as hell, might even be hotter.

I can hardly stay home - I bounce out of bed in the morning and I want to be outside. I've been taking long walks - going by the river. Sat, the husband and I drove up to Shasta Lake - ah, well it used to be a lake. Just a dry hole in the ground. I am sure the lake is somewhere out there - we walked on the dry lake bottom for 3 miles and still didn't hit any water - just the salt creek that ran beside it.

Drove over a old bridge, that was flooded out to make the lake - we found relics of the past - chimneys that once were in old homes, now exposed as a reminder of the countless people who had to leave because of Shasta Dam/ Lake.



fireplace



So Brown has said, we need to cut back by 20% - no biggie. I'm used to water rationing. This summer, the homes that have yellow to dead lawns and no flowers will be chic. Finally we'll be in style!


No it's not a moon-scape - It's Lake Shasta in Northern California

10 comments:

  1. It's weird that we live in the same country. You look nice in that photo. I love that top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you. Funny you mentioned my top - my sons absolutely hate that particular top. Every time I wear it, they make comments. It's just a t-shirt with some ruffles in the front.

      Delete
  2. OOOOO.MMMM.GGGG.

    I haven't see that yet!! I have to get out there. I cannot believe it's THAT low!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to check out other areas of the lake as well. Roads are appearing - I heard a old railroad track is just about to show. Trippy

      Delete
  3. We are having unseasonal weather as well. I'm not complaining now but if we don't get snow to keep the mountains from burning all summer I will be complaining ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know. We're already getting spot fires - but they have been caused by cigarettes being tossed or careless campers. Summer is not going to be fun.

      Delete
  4. Oh wow. I thought some of our rivers were low. They still have a little water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mt Shasta, up in the higher elevations does have some snow. So I am sure that is what is feeding some of our creeks and rivers.

      Delete
  5. Yes these photos are lovely but droughts are so terrible as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's scary. I've never seen it this bad.

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts