Sunday, November 03, 2013

They're here


a fed bear is a dead bear


I totally enjoyed my quiet time while the husband was gone - just me and the dog and the cat. Foodie and Navy were gone most of the time, working and when they were home, it was late and I was on my way to bed. I cleaned the house and did laundry and it was fun. Cranked up the music and danced around. Simple fun.

The husband kept me in the loop with frequent phone calls, when they stopped at rest stops on the way down. They actually made better time than I thought, rolling in here at 1:30 pm on Friday. No major car issues with them, except overheating but they would stop and let it cool down and then start off again. Usually, it is a 8-9 hour one day trip. I was happy that they spent the night in a Cottage Grove rest-stop and started out for California in the morning. The coolness of the morning was what was needed for them to get up and over that Syskiyou pass on the Oregon/California border.

My heart sank when I first saw them. They actually looked homeless. C is wearing men's jeans too big for her and they both looked to have gained a lot of weight. I believe C might have diabetes - it runs in my husband's family although he does not show signs for it yet, because he is active and slender. But everyone else in his family is overweight and has it. She shakes. I have to remind her to eat something. She seems to be on the verge of tears and she has such low self esteem, apologizing for everything. Breaks my heart yet at times, it is annoying. I need more patience.

We are finding, that they don't know how to do anything or they don't listen. We explained to them how the stove works in the RV, how to slide the windows closed - things like that. It's been in the high 70's and low 80's, so I told them at one point, they better go out and close the windows because once the sun sets, it gets COLD.  They didn't. Then they get up in the morning, tell us the bed is too hard and they were cold all night. We asked them if they closed all the windows, and used the little electric heater and they had not. We both do not want to have to remind them. I started to last night, but the husband told me, "let them figure it out the hard way" and he is right.

On the most part they are keeping to themselves in the RV - putting things away. Yesterday we took them out for a drive - to show them the beauty of our area. He was like a kid in a candy store. He loves the rural, mountainous area - the river, the waterfalls etc.  Took them to see Old Shasta mining town, and Whiskey-town lake. We even walked through an area, that was active with bears - blew their minds, when they had to step over bear poop!   There was a lot of it all around, some of it very fresh so we didn't wander off too far into the woods. It was beautiful, with the leaves falling everywhere and the breeze rustling through the tree tops. I even got a little sunburn on my face.

At one point, C started to cry - she had been holding back for so long and tries to keep it together. She told us how scared she has been. She worries a lot and at times, has little hope that anything will change.

I just hope and pray, this will be a good move. It's not easy here but I honestly believe they can plug in better in a less populated area. The metro area of Seattle, where they came from, is not as personal as it is here. Thank God their little church basically was keeping them in food and providing work for them in order for them to pay rent and gas in their vehicles. 




3 comments:

  1. It is nice to have some quiet time,I know I enjoy it even now when most of my days are quiet, ok recently they haven't been that quiet since I have had my niece Kelli and her son Daemon pretty much living here and Daemon is only 20 months old. Yeah sometimes things have to be learnt the hard way I get that but doesn't mean I have to like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is that saying, silence is golden? So true

      Delete
  2. I would love to see the area you live in.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts