Monday, September 02, 2013

Labor Day 2013




Happy Labor Day!

Although, I don't know what is so happy about it - there are still those who would love to work and have a job - like my son-in-law. The Husband still has to work Labor Day, but with the State of California, they give it as a floating holiday instead of the day off. So we can hook it up with vacation days or take it when we like. Navy and Foodie both work today, but at time and a half.

And me?  No time and a half for me - no day off either.  Traditionally, I have always "labored" on Labor Day - NOOoooo I don't mean, I was pregnant - but because it used to coincide with the first day of school, I would take Labor Day and get all their school clothes washed and ironed - mend their older clothes, clean out closets and just getting them ready for school.  A fun memory is, ironing while rocking out to the Beach Boys. It's funny how you do something for years - then you don't have to anymore, but you still feel compelled to do keep that same habit, year after year.

So today I will continue cleaning - the start of my Fall cleaning.  We're in the 90's still here but the mountains are getting rain.  So I am just starting to see the temperatures and weather getting fickle - one day Summer, one day Fall.  My favorite time of the year - from Sept to the end of the year! 

So Happy Labor Day you all - whatever it means to you.

8 comments:

  1. My son doesn't wear clothes that need ironing, thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well neither did mine - these were clothes that for some reason ended up in my so called "ironing basket" and needed to be ironed. MY once a year ironing day.

      Delete
  2. I had two friends who gave birth on Labor Day.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha - that would be perfect.

      Delete
  3. Happy Labor Day! Today we are low 80s, which is nice after upper 90s and low 100s for the last couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is Labor Day and public holiday over there and if one works on the day do they get double time or time and half, here when someone works on public holidays they will get either time and half or double time, so it is good money to work those days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! But for those who work a job where it is a 24/7 job, no one can take off - so they get vacation/holiday time off instead. My husband got 1 and half days.

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts