Thursday, August 01, 2013

It hurts




It took me a couple of days to simmer down - Now I can write about it -

I went to lunch with an friend who we always try to get together but she cancels. It was only because she had ordered Skin So Soft that we even connected. So we went to lunch.  She's nice and all and I was looking forward to catching up.

She has a boyfriend now - and mostly she talked about him.  When it was my turn to talk,  I shared about my niece Nissa. (see Islamophobia, it is real) HERE WE GO AGAIN.  She got quiet and soon after, she seemed uncomfortable and wanted to leave. There was such a drastic change in her.  I could just see her thinking...instead of just listening to me, she was stuck on stupid - and couldn't get passed her ignorant-thought-process.

You know, it kinda hurt my feelings. 

I guess it will always be this way. This is that small-town mentality that I hate. Don't get me wrong, I love it here but it ain't paradise.  Many of the people have been born and raised here and they don't like change and they don't want to understand diversity.

I am so glad I was raised in San Francisco. What a total blessing on my life, that has been.  Granted San Francisco now is a bit "out there" even for me - but I still love the spirit it has always had and that goes back to the early days - it always attracted innovated, diverse people.

I have more rants about this lunch date - that I need to mull around a bit more in my head.


photo credit: D.Clow - Maryland via photopin cc

7 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you had that experience. I guess she isn't much of a friend, especially if she usually cancels on you. Sell her Skin So Soft and don't go out with her unless she pays for her Skin So Soft and your lunch.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was like the first person I met when we moved up here - she's okay. But not BFF material.

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't have gone all quiet on you. It's interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. she was clearly uncomfortable and didn't know what to say.

      Delete
  3. There are some things I just never do share with people. I have lived in small town Iowa most of my life so I understand what you are talking about. A lot of people don't understand what I am saying or they don't care and it is just easier to not say a word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah but its hard not to share my excitement over a new baby joining our family soon. Oh well - I'm over it...

      Delete
  4. I’m so sorry that happened and I totally understand. I live in a place like that now where people don’t like change and don’t understand diversity, but it’s where my husband’s job is. A few years ago, my husband and I lived in San Francisco (North Beach). We loved it there, loved the spirit of the City. Miss it!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts