Monday, August 26, 2013

It's fire season once again



The fires have started up again but fortunately we are not getting the horrid smoke we had last summer.  There is one north of us and of course the one everyone is just sick about - the one closest to Yosemite. I hate change and when there are fires - there is drastic change to the landscape that hurts my heart. I know forest fires are part of the process, when they get out of hand - it's devastating.

In his journal turned book - Up and Down California, William Brewer, an American botanist was on the first Geological survey of California, mentions forest fires and how they actually keep on restoring the forests and how important they are.  I know Redwood trees need the heat of a fire for seeds to germinate. Sure we'll all have to wait 100 years, but nature knows what it is doing.  I can't say that about Cal-fire and the US Forestry service.  They keep experimenting with new fire-fighting methods that don't work. Like last summer, when they did a controlled burn, during a hot and dry heatwave - it got out of hand and devastated a huge area of the Lassen area. 

It's always that way - Bureaucrats keep sticking their book-learned ideas into how to put out fires, and overlooking the experience of those who are the ones actually putting out these fires and risking their lives. 

I just pray for all the firefighters - we lost a fire-jumper about a month ago - young man with a family. What bravery and skill one must have, to jump inside a fire and fight it from within.


8 comments:

  1. That's very frightening.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fire season is something we are all to aware of here where I live, we have bush not far from us, also my cousin is a firefighter.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah I've heard of some of those fires you've all had in Australia. Fires are one thing that totally scares me to death.

      Delete
  3. scary thing fires are. mom and i got stuck on the highway with fire on both sides once and it was terrifying! the people who fight them are hero's in my book. stay safe there my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would of freaked me out. WE drove past a fire that had just started once - and was by the side of the freeway and people in the cars were freaking out - stopping. I'm like, WHY ARE THEY STOPPING? IT was moving fast.

      Delete
  4. Rain, we all need a lot of rain.That would help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain does help. The mountains are getting rain where they need it, but some of those forest fires need buckets and buckets of rain before it actually goes out.

      We're still hot and dry. But I am starting to see some Autumn-like chnages - like it's cooler in the morning...Love it.

      Delete
  5. My cousin works for the US forestry service and is sent to help fight fires. I don't understand some methods being used. Many times it really doesn't seem to be doing much good.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts