Thursday, August 01, 2013

Dog Days of summer




I use that term a lot - I must have picked it up from my folks -  this morning it was the first thing I thought of - Ah, August 1 - we're entering the dog days. At least by my own definition. 

So I looked it up - It refers to the sultry days of summer in the Northern Hemisphere. Commonly July and August since they are the warmest. In the Southern Hemisphere it, would be January and February.





Wikipedia: Dog Days

In Ancient Rome, the Dog Days ran from July 24th through August 24th, or, alternatively, from July 23 through August 23rd. In many European cultures (German, French, Italian) this period is still said to be the time of the Dog Days.
The Old Farmer's Almanac lists the traditional period of the Dog Days as the 40 days beginning July 3rd and ending August 11th, coinciding with the ancient heliacal (at sunrise) rising of the Dog Star, Sirius. These are the days of the year with the least rainfall in the Northern Hemisphere.

I guess it's my European ancestry, because when I think of the Dog Days of summer, I'm thinking July 24 through August 24 and in these parts where I live, to the end of August. 

And without sounding like a broken record, I like the first day of a new month, new year, new weeks - I like new beginnings.  I get all excited when it is the beginning of a new month.  And this was BEFORE we were paid monthly, so I even like it better now.

I just feel all energetic, and hopeful - never knowing what a new month will bring. Besides the disgustingly HOT WEATHER  the dog days of summer bring,  it is a mark for me, that my favorite time of the year is not far off.  I LOVE AUTUMN. (I prefer to say Autumn to Fall)


photo credit; http://mail.colonial.net/~hkaiter/starweb/FOV1-000313C2/FOV1-000313D3/sarahcanousmager-mioner.htm

photo credit; http://www.savedbydogs.com

6 comments:

  1. Autumn won't arrive here until November or maybe December or even January. Whenever it shows up, I'll welcome it. It's sooooooo hot.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a cousin that lives somewhere on the eastern part of Florida. They live in a really cool quasi hut they converted into livable space and they grow grass or sod or something on the roof. ANYWAY, she has told me the best time for me to come would be December. I don't see that happening but it would be nice one day.

      Delete
  2. In the seventies here all week. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow - you haven't had a very hot summer. Nice.

      Delete
  3. I never really put a date on the dog days of summer. Just figured it was hot enough that dogs just lazed around and didn't give it much thought. It is good to learn something new!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep learning is still at good thing even at our age. :-)

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts