Monday, August 05, 2013

Buying Alaska

 


I love HGTV and I will miss it when we lose the cable at the end of the month. Last night I watched "Buying Alaska" only it is not on HGTV - (My son saved it for me) It was on Destination America channel.   I couldn't live there. There was a time, when we thought about moving up there - I actually thought I was tough enough to be able to live a more off the grid lifestyle. HA! I was only kidding myself.  This one place this young couple looked at, had this Bear fence attached to the house. Ahhhh, THAT would be the first good indication that this house was not the one for me. However, people in Alaska are hardy and tough. The husband works on oil rigs and has to be gone from his young wife 2 weeks out of every month. So I am thinking, she won't want this house. WRONG.  All she said she needed was wood chopped and a loaded shotgun.

 



Another young couple with a toddler, wanted to live on a houseboat. Now that is something I have always wanted to do. Where we used to live, when we were living in our RV, it was on the edge of the San Francisco Bay where there were many RV parks and marinas.  I'd go over and look at all the houseboats and dream.  Anyway, they bought this one that was a house on a barge so inside it looked like a big motor-home. I was concerned about their toddler but they were in the process of installing gates and such. This house had a chicken coop as well as a green-house type sun-room to grow veggies year round. 90,000 for that. Wow.

I did have a dream last night that we had a female contractor come out to the house and she gave us an offer to redo our kitchen for $14,000.  I was bummed at the time because I said, that now that I am not working a "job job" it might be harder for us to get a loan. That probably is true for awhile however,  I have no intention of doing a major kitchen update. The only updating I would do, is paint and make do, with what I already have.




6 comments:

  1. I get really seasick. I wonder if I would living on a houseboat. No way would I have a toddler on one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen the show. Sounds interesting!!

    I would take a kitchen makeover, but with a son getting ready to go to college it would have to be free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was younger I thought it would be cool to live on a houseboat that was before I realised I get seasick easy...............lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alaska would be an interesting place to live, but I doubt I am rugged enough lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of that show. I don't watch much TV though.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts