Sunday, July 14, 2013

Financial struggles

Seems Sunday is a good time to confess and I am not even Catholic! My blog-friend Loonysuse laid down her hair - and I want to lay down mine. 

You probably already know that my family is strapped for money.  We are a middle-class working family - we own our home, have a decent newer model car,  yet we struggle.  It seems to be getting worse. I'd say 95% of it is not our fault. We have always tried to live within our means but food, and utilities and gas for the cars is killing our budget.  We hardly have any "gravy money" left over.  Some months lately we have been down to near nothing. 

Another confession.  The Husband works for the State of Confusion and on paper, it looked like we qualified for Cal-fresh.  Reluctantly, we went down to fill out paperwork.  The gal said, it looked good until they used our whole life insurance and my husband's military pension against us. It's all in the calculations.  I'm just as glad - I've never been on any assistance and I just don't want to be if I can help it.  However we are eligible for the food bank and USDA commodities. 

I used to go to a food bank when I was a single Mom for awhile.  It is what got me through until I landed that high paying Nanny job. 

I admit - I am scared.  There are no decent jobs out there - and they all seem to be part-time and give preference to the younger people - after-all I am going to be 60 in March. 

I pay all my bills in the month so its not like we are behind - I don't use credit cards although I do have some debt on them (under $1000) because of emergencies not because I wanted to buy new clothes or furniture.  That makes me uncomfortable because 3 to 4 years ago, we had no debt at all.

I'm not used to living this way - I was raised in a upper-middle-class working home. My dad was very successful and I had a very good life growing up. 

I think some of the problem is with me - because I am not capable of holding down a job due to my moods and off and on depression. 

I still have that HOPE in me - that if I just TRY hard enough, I can at least keep us from going totally UNDER.  But I have to do it in creative ways - direct sales, garage sales, crafting, mystery shopping, pet sitting, etc.

It just gets OLD after a while and I get down, because I know I NEED a vacation.  Yet we cannot afford it.  Oh sure, we could put it on a card and go - I won't do that! 

So there it is - Don't pity me.  I hate that.  Just know that not everyone lives the rich life or even the comfortable middle-class life. Some of us, through no fault of our own struggle. 

Seems I pick my friends according to how much do they struggle. Isn't that awful?  People who have no concept of how some of us have to struggle, bug me.  Am I jealous?  Maybe.  I try not to be. 

So there I am - out there for you all to see. 





12 comments:

  1. You try your hardest. You've been through hell before, and you've survived. Do what you have to do as long as you don't rob a bank.

    I'm more than friend-worthy in the mental department.

    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be too scared to rob a bank. :-)

      Delete
  2. I have been job hunting for full time work since last October. NOTHING. I've had maybe 4 interviews in that time. I apply to at least 5 places every single week and NO phone calls. Although I did get a call on Friday from a staffing agency (FINALLY) to put my resume in for a clerical job. Plus I'm turning in an app for the CHP tomorrow. Also, I'm applying for CalFresh tomorrow. I don't want to be on it either, but I do eat the food my parents buy so if I can help out, I will. Considering I make maybe a $100/week, I make enough to pay my bills but nothing more. I understand your struggles and I definitely sympathize with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed seeing this - My one son got on Cal fresh and they keep cutting back on him to where now he doesn't have it. He only works like 20 hours a week. So he will appeal it. The other is trying to get some unemployment - since he was laid off. He missed the appointment phone call and they denied him.

      You have to do what you have to do.

      Delete
  3. You are not alone I may be in a different country but guess what we have the same problems with money and jobs I have three daughters two of which would love to have a job and not rely on the pension but as hard as they try they are yet to find a job. Hubby is only a casual and has applied many times to go full time but keeps getting over looked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it is rough all over for many. I hope things change soon.

      Delete
  4. I've given up all hope of having a regular job. Once one hits 50, I think Wal-Mart greeter is about the only position open. I thank God when I get a book to edit and I'm actively seeking a sugar daddy.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love a nice job at Macy's like I used to have years ago but they never call me back. I hate applying online because it gives them the excuse to never contact you. It sucks

      Delete
  5. I understand where you are coming from. Having $1000 on a credit card is nothing compared to most people, trust me....I used to work in a reference agency and deal with bankruptcies etc. life is too short to worry about small things, if you need a vacation, take one and just try and keep it cheap. As my dad used to say, you can't take the money with you! I'm sorry about the job situation, I am still looking too and so far unsuccessful for all kinds of positions even entry level for jobs I have 15 years experience, I am 35 so I don't know that it's an age thing. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fortunately we did knock out all of our debt a few years back by living in our RV for 4 years. But I have just started to use the credit and it really makes me sick.

      Delete
  6. Hang in there.

    Hoping for some good fortune to go your way...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks - I'm hoping to catch it, when it passes by.

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts