Monday, June 10, 2013

snails



 Have I ever mentioned that I detest snails?

Yep - growing up in San Francisco and on the coast, there are many gray days - pea soup fog and snails love that kind of weather. Plus ice plant grow like weeds there and snails love ice plants. They also love red geraniums, which grow like weeds in SF.  They are all over the place. Plus if you go to the Redwoods, they have BIG banana slugs.  I don't care for them either!




I just always thought they were grossest pest I ever saw. Give me a spider or a bee - I'll even take a garter-snake or worms.  One time, my next-door neighbor, who was a boy - Alyn tore a branch off a geranium plant and threw it at me - snails and all.

I had long hair - I screamed as my Mom hand picked a few snails out of my hair.

Then if Alyn hadn't done enough, a year or so later he told some of the boys in the school yard about my phobia and I had a dozen or more boys (and some mean girls) chasing me around the yard with snails. Thankfully they didn't throw them at me, or I'm telling you, I would of died of a heart attack.

Now days, they would get in real trouble - but that was fairly normal kid stuff.

So last night, Navy came and told me, that he saw some snail slime, on the floor of his room.  I checked it out, and sure enough - it was snail slime. I instantly ORDERED him to look in his room for that snail. 

I had a hard time getting to sleep - this morning he told me, he found a very big snail, on the backside of his dresser.  Where the  @%&#  did that slimy son of a %$#&@  come from?

We're thinking he must of brought it in, on his clothes - rubbed up against a bush or maybe the dog brought it in?  Or maybe the cat?  It totally messes with my mind to think, that a snail was living under the same roof as me.  Then I thought, what if, that snail squeezed under the door, to get out of the heat we just had???  Although I did not see any snail slime tracks - I guess it is just going to be a unsolved mystery.

PS Janie Junebug - Is it true you all have Giant African snails in Florida???? 



14 comments:

  1. OMG OMG OMG I've never seen snails that big! After 10 years of living here, it's apparent to us that the decollete snails we bought to eat the other snails, have died off, moved on, something. I have one hibiscus by the gate that is being eaten alive, so tonight is night 2 of the beer-in-a-pie-plate snail gas chamber. Only got 2 last night. I WANT TO KILL MORE. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best to get chickens or ducks to eat the snails. I wouldn't waste beer on snails. I don't like using pesticides but for snails I say, NUKE THEM!

      Delete
  2. Snails are gross and they can make you sick just touching them...........I don't get how some people can eat them even grosser.............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even pick one up - gives me the heebie jeebies

      Delete
  3. I ate some the other day and they weren't very good. That's the last time I order them in SW Michigan. Sorry.. I probably just gave you bad dreams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ARE YOU SERIOUS???? YOU ATE snails???? Oh how gross. No bad dreams, I just barfed!

      Delete
    2. Please say you made that up, Susie.

      Delete
  4. How big do they get?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. depends on what variety. Those Africa snails, I googled and they get really big, size of a foot or a big hand.

      Delete
  5. I don't like snails, I hate it when I stand on one by mistake...crunch! I don't like the look of those banana slugs either. I'm more afraid of spiders than snails though x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a foot fetish now because of snails and slugs I have stepped on.

      Delete
  6. If we have Giant African Snails, then I have yet to see them. I'm too busy keeping lizards and palmetto bugs out of my house. I'll never forget the first time I saw a large slug when we lived near Seattle. I had no idea what it was. Then we bought our house and they would slither up the sliding glass door in the back of the house. I loved salting them and watching them diiiiiiiie.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I read you guys down there are having a epidemic of these African snails.(along with pythons)

      Yeah they are gross when they slide up the side of a window and you're on the other side - I guess one would say that was educational - I think of it as just gross.

      I was a bad mom. I told my kids that, "WE HATE SNAILS" and so when they would see one, they would step on it or throw it in the street and watch the cars run over it. Fun for them was when I would give them a baggie full of salt and they would, along with the neighbor kids, sprinkle them with salt and watch them fizz.

      There have been times in my life when I was obsessed in killing them. We don't have that many up here but no matter where I go, they follow me.

      Delete
    2. I haven't seen a snake since I moved to Florida. Maybe it's because I'm in northern Florida. I definitely see the occasional rat. Fortunately, they stopped hanging around my garage after the dogs killed a couple of them. I saw a lot more snakes in Illinois, but they loved our house in the country because of the mice.

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts