Sunday, June 23, 2013

My Siberian-like-camping trip

 
7500-8000 elevation

No Rowena, the weather guys were right.  It was down to 32 the first night - started raining which   turned to on and off marble-sized hail - then we had a mixture of rain-hail-snow for the rest of the evening and into the early morning.  We had to sit in our car - listened to Giant's game.  I had on 3 layers and did sleep surprising well (it was the wine)  Nice and warm n my sleeping bag. However, the mattress were we going to use, had a slow leak so we left it home.  Instead we used a military-issue wool blanket and a couple of old sleeping bags as a cushion and it was okay, although I could of used a bit more cushion.


Yes that is me, yours truly. I am a wreck.  My hair was dirty, I was COLD, tired -   It was windy too. My eyeglasses make my eyes look like they are bugged out.

The next day, it was gray and dreary with some wind, so we got in the car and drove through Lassen Park stopping at all the scenic stops along the way - went to their Museum and Visitor center and had a picnic in our car by a beautiful stream.


I'm in the car with Daisey

 By the time we got back to camp, it was starting to get sunny and a bit warmer. That evening was much better and we enjoyed a huge campfire. Plenty of wood!  The Husband took in a hike on his own, because the National Parks are now cracking down with us people who have dogs.  Can't take our dogs anywhere. So I sat back at the camp with Daisey. (I know I said we were not going to take her but as it turned out both sons were working late and she would be unattended for too long)



wished he had flown south for the summer!


COFFEE ALERT - Oh and once we had arrived there,  that first day, we realized we forgot the coffee!!! So the Husband went to the camp store and paid nearly $10 for a 1 lb can of Folgers!!! We used our camping percolator in the blue speckled tin and it makes some strong coffee.  I will say that was my favorite time, sitting there in front of a roaring fire with my frozen hands cupped around some HOT coffee - complaining about the cold.


the hike I didn't get to go on

In spite of it all, met some nice camping neighbors - Good food, wine, a fire and a lot of laughs! It will now go down in my memory as a "good one" but one that does not need repeating!



burrrrrrrrr
So that's it for me - Too cold!   I don't mind camping, if I have my RV - Of course the day we come home it heats up to the mid 70's during the day.  There was still quite a bit of snow in the 7000 ft elevation - and one lake was partially frozen.



is it June yet?

That park is so fascinating. If you enjoy earth science and all of that, it's quite the treat. I was bummed that I did not get to do some hiking because once I am there, my enjoyment of hiking came back to me - so I was disappointed. There is more to that park I want to hike out to see - more of the devastation area and the cinder cones.



where are the swimmers?
We sat there, watching all these campers pull in with moterhomes and we are like, WHY are we siting here freezing when we have a 34 foot moterhome to the side of our house?   So we need to get her smogged and then we can take her out.  We had planned to just non-op the RV but now I think not.  Maybe it took, us freezing to death, to realize we could of had it so much nicer - although the Husband was sympathetic to me and said that he would take in some backpacking weekends on his own. That's FINE with me.


It was so nice to get home. 






12 comments:

  1. Hey skinny. The fire sounds wonderful. Folgers was the first coffee I drank...I think it was instant. Glad you had fun,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You think? I was wearing 3 layers so I felt fat and dirty. I had worn a ski cap to bed at night to keep my head warm so my hair was all over the place and mashed down in spots.

      I don't know my first coffee but my Mom told me that when I was like 3 years old, I said to her that I knew how to spell coffee. She was impressed and excited so she of course asked me to spell it - So I spelled out PROUDLY, "Y U B A N" :-)



      Delete
    2. You look like a campfire girl. :-)

      Delete
  2. Looks so COLD. lol I love Lassen Park, don't think I've actually camped in the park, but I've driven around a few times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some beautiful camping spots. Most of it doesn't open until June 28. My sons go to the back country camping where it's more remote and not a lot of people.

      Delete
  3. Those are some amazing scenery pictures. Maybe you need to get that camper out a little more and get away from it all. Sounds like you had a fantastic time other than the frostbite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think you are right!

      Delete
  4. My back would complain about the cold and the lack of a good, firm mattress. So would I. You're very brave.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MY back had a few complaints as well. I took naps in my car with the dog. That was kinda cozy!

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear the weather wasn't better for you, it does look beautiful though! How did you forget coffee?, at least you managed to get some. It sounds like you had a nice relaxing by break, time away from home to yourselves. I need to venture out more x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I blame the forgotten coffee on the Husband. He thought I packed it and I thought he did. :-0

      It would of been major, if there were no coffee. We'd have headaches and I wouldn't of been able to cope.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful pictures, makes me want to take a weekend getaway.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts