Thursday, May 02, 2013

shopper #007 will strike again




So in an attempt to make some extra cash and feed all my little businesses hobbies,  I accepted a couple of mystery shops I will do today.  The thing with mystery shopping is that each job is not a lot of money - they usually don't take up THAT much time, it's that you have to remember key items, like sales associates names and what they look like.  My short-term memory is not what it used to be and I get stressed out.  I won't give up though - I keep on stressing myself out and accepting these jobs.  Back in 2009, I would make about $250 a month - not a lot but it was some extra spending money.

One job I accepted was at my local grocery store.  They will pay me $20 to shop for food.  I won't get paid till next month (on pay pal) but I have to get some things anyway.  So in essence they are reimbursing me for my food.  Times have changed.  They used to pay you a fee and then a reimbursement up to a certain amount.  It will take about an hour.  I look at it this way - I am exercising my brain. 

Then I did a dumb thing and accepted a K-Mart shop.  This one only pays $5.  A quickie but I still have to remember names.  This one reimburses me and gives me a fee.  I accepted this one,  to refresh myself.  I haven't done a mystery shop since Dec 2011 when I did a IKEA shop and it just about did me in.  I completed it but it took me so long, then I had to do the report which I found confusing.  I did get $95 for it but it was hard.  Next time, the Husband said he would go with me and together our short-term memories should come up with something.

The other day I applied for some real jobs online - no one is hiring or if they are, they don't want some old lady.  You practically have to beg and even that gets you nowhere.   That is when I start to feel desperate.  I babysat for my little girls the other evening - that was a nice diversion.  Made some cash.  It's all gone now.  My car got it.

The thing is, I AM A TALENTED PERSON.  I AM CREATIVE.  Why won't someone pay me for it?   Oh, and the Husband asked me if I would be the webmaster for the VFW.  I am self-taught - so I might do that.  It's unpaid but I could list it on my resume.

I wish I could get a paid disability for being a die-hard introvert. (just kidding) Or am I??

It sucks getting old...no one thinks you can do anything. 

And don't believe it,  when they tell you, they don't discriminate against the older worker - because THEY DO.










8 comments:

  1. You need to network .. meet people .. make friends that have friends that may need a worker with your expertise (I'm self taught too :) The VFW gig would certainly get you in the sight of many people (network). These days, experience and stability in a person are much in demand .. because when you look at the generation coming out of college and high school these days, they have silver spoons in their mouths (that are really plastic) .. and they are about the have the rug pulled out from under them entering the REAL WORLD. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its hard to network when you are an introvert. My husband is a big networker - he joins everything. I really need to make some changes. I'm starting to worry myself.

      Delete
  2. OF COURSE THEY DO. Don't even get me started.

    Sorry you need work...the economy is better, but it is certainly not all the way back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The economy is not good here. There has been a awfully high price paid, moving to this semi-rural town, surrounded by mountains, and ranches and natural beauty. We knew this, but honestly never thought it would be this bad. There is a saying in the bay area, "Once you move you can never afford to move back." We couldn't afford the high home prices when we lived there! And the rents are over the top, as you know, being in Southern California. Plus the lifestyle isn't anything I want to go back to. I'd rather be poor here than poor in the bay area.

      Delete
  3. Can you start some sort of shop on etsy.com? That would use your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did open one up a couple of years ago - did nothing with it, because I ended up getting a job.

      Delete
  4. The other day I walked into Express Personnel. I asked if they had part-time temp jobs. The lady said they had part-time temp jobs, temp to perm, and full-time temp jobs. Do you have Express Personnel where you are?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow, you walked right in??? No express personnel here although I did check out all the other ones. Filled out their applications. I hear nothing.

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts