Wednesday, May 01, 2013

May 1 to me will always be about Maypole dances



When I was a kid growing up in San Francisco, our public schools would have huge May Day celebrations,  complete with a Maypole Dance. We would practice for weeks - we had to have a pretty dress and we made wreaths for our hair.  We were matched with our dance partner, another boy.  At that age, I hated holding hands with boys.  They hated it even more.  I remember this one boy, Stanley would spit on his hands and then try to hold hands - he got in trouble for that. We also didn't have one Maypole, but each class had their own Maypole - On our playground, there were multiple Maypoles and was quite the beautiful sight to see.

Of course, back then I had no way knowing that this was considered a pagan ritual celebrating Springs fertility rites. That was never taught to us - to us little kids, it was the big spring festival we had every year and it was fun.

When we moved down the coast, the public schools there didn't do May Day celebrations. And when my kids went to school, they also didn't have Maypoles or May Day celebrations. Even the Husband, who grew up in Orange County, didn't have them at his schools.

From what I have heard, they haven't hosted Maypole dances in San Francisco public schools in years.  I wonder what happened?

Instead, May Day has been taken over by other groups - not as peaceful as they want you to believe -  Now immigrants march - union workers march - it's about "fighting" for your rights -  dignity of migrant farm workers, blah blah blah.   It is now called International Workers Day.  Which would you rather have?  A fun day with beautiful children dancing, singing, flowers and ribbons?  Or billy clubs, clinched fists, spilled blood, and anti-establishment ruckus and revelry?

I'm sorry, Pagan or not, I miss the Maypole....

12 comments:

  1. I don't remember ever having maypole celebrations.

    I vaguely remember making candy baskets and you would put them on the neighbor's doorsteps and ding-dong-ditch. If the person caught you they had to kiss you.

    How weird. I wonder where that tradition came from. ???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you just reminded me, that we used to that too. Gosh I forgot all about that! I'm curious now - will have to look it up. :-)

      Delete
  2. Give me the singing and dancing around a pole with colorful streamers. Pagan or not, it was fun and uplifting. We didn't care. It was usually a beautiful day to celebrate spring. I am really tired of groups taking over what used to be fun for causes that are better suited fighting in court than taking to our streets. Oh, I forgot, this is your ranting blog. Sorry.

    Happy May Day for all the right reasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh don't be sorry - I feel exactly the same way. Happy May Day to you too (for all the right reasons) :-)

      Delete
  3. For me, May Day is about picking some flowers, taking them to grandma's, sitting them on her front porch right by the door, ringing the doorbell and then hiding.

    I try to keep that tradition up with my mom. Sadly, can't do it today with a manicure, but I will call her to tell her I'm sorry I can't make it today. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is sweet Gwen. I'm sure your Mom understands.

      Delete
  4. In first grade, we had outdoor musicals. I remember the song..."Let's go fly a kite...up to the highest height, let's go fly a kite and send it soaring...".

    Of course I can't remember my current phone number. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember May Day and the maypoles. When May 1st rolls around I think of May Day. Of course, as I got older I also heard that it was a Pagan celebration. I guess it went away for that reason. It was just fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. most holidays have pagan roots ... I remember may poles in elementary school .. it was festive and fun. back in the good old days when you could play dodge ball, participate in a sport without having to get a (loser's) trophy .. gay meant happy .. watching Archy Bunker on TV was funny .. PC police were not around ... there were right and wrong ideas that kept society in check. I don't even recognize my country any longer .. and will NEVER succumb to the idea that God doesn't exist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you Mrs Mac. I too, do not recognize my country any more. It's depressing.

      Delete
    2. darn, I meant to add, back then we could laugh at ourselves. That's what made all in the family so popular. It wasn't that Americans applauded his bigotry - it was that we all knew someone like him and loved them anyway. Now everyone is so filled with hate.

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts