Thursday, May 16, 2013

Just thinking about stuff


my neighborhood

 Coffee and a nice cool breeze blowing in my bedroom window, this Thursday morning. Still no rain, but it's grey.  I like it.  The last few days, has been hard on me, getting used to it again.  Like I've said before, 97 in August will be welcomed, when average temps are 105+  The summers here are so darn HOT.

Sometimes I think I'd like to move somewhere the temperatures are more moderate. Come to think about it - I did.  That's where I moved from. You can't beat the weather on the peninsula. Snuggled between San Francisco and San Jose, is where I lived for 40+ years.  San Mateo County.  I do miss it but it's all changed so much, that when I go back I feel like I no longer belong there.  Just too expensive for my blood.  In fact, most of us, who have lived there and raised our families, have had to move away for economic reasons. Not to mention, it was getting too congested - too many people.  When I was younger, I accepted it.  But the last few years there was getting to me.  Sitting and wasting time in traffic, standing in long lines everywhere you go. Can't afford a fixer-upper and the rents were outrageous.  Foodie was renting a studio apartment in Menlo Park for $1200 a month and that wasn't that long ago.  Of course it's all about LOCATION and Menlo is a hop skip and a jump to Stanford.

At that time, we were downsizing and living in our RV at a park in Redwood City - for $980 a month.  Just for a piece of cement for our 34 foot motor home! I hear now they are up to well over a $1000 a month. Add in our RV payment each month and that's just a bit too high. HELLO, we were supposed to be downsizing.

Moving up here seemed like a good idea although I was not looking forward to the summers.  I was used to moderate, year round good weather.  Not too HOT and not too Cold.  Ocean breezes, morning fog, the smell of redwood trees after the fog lifts...but if it hadn't been for those 4 years (actually 6, because we lived in a 1 bedroom apartment for 2 years) we would not have been able to leave the area for a new start.

Cuenca River in Ecuador



Last night I heard on the news that many people are retiring to Ecuador.  I don't know about that.  Number one,  I don't like I FEAR big snakes and when I think of those places, I think of giant snakes, that hang in trees and are in the rivers and lakes just waiting for me a human to devour. Totally freaks me out. I much prefer rattlesnakes. Never thought my retirement planning would be based on snakes!


A BIG snake


Just as I never ever thought that one day, I would even consider leaving California.  The Husband and I think of it a lot.  Of course, we still have about 10 more years - 

12 comments:

  1. Your neighborhood looks so pretty. The snake? Terrifying. Now I have the heeby-jeebies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just too rooted in my family to move that far away. But you gotta do, what you gotta do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to live in a "walkable" community, but I never have. That's where I want to retire. Wherever I can easily walk to town to grocery shop, hang out, watch a movie, etc. Ditch the car.

    My mortgage is less than your cement payment. That's nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The photo of your neighborhood is beautiful. I miss living where I can see mountains.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  5. The mountain view from your neighborhood is great! That picture of Ecuador looks inviting, but not the snake. I hope you figure out where to live, Indiana's a lot cheaper, but you have to deal with snow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I moved from NJ to California (in the SF Bay Area, around Walnut Creek)and then back to NJ. I miss the CA weather a lot. But I can tell you straight up, I will NEVER EVER be moving to Ecuador. That snake is going to give me nightmares!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm just a bout getting used to the constant sunny california weather! It makes a nice change from the UK. Ecuador looks very nice, I can see why people are retiring there. Not somewhere I would ever think of going to really.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, I do love living in Southern Ontario, but we do get some pretty big weather swings - hot, sometimes rainy summers, cold snowy slushy winters. Big fun. :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. That photo of Ecuador looks beautiful, but I don't think I'd want any deadly snakes around either! Your current neighborhood is very nice though. By the way ...

    I've nominated you for a Liebster, as well as a Very Inspiring Blogger Award! For more details, please see my post about it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. To Google, please unlock Coffee Lady's blog because we miss her!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where are you?? I miss your posts. Well, you certainly have a lovely view from your neighborhood. There are always tradeoffs. I'll take tradeoffs any day to stay out of congestion. I hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Found your blog while looking for information about Mt Shasta. My husband and I are having a similar experience as transplants from the very lovely temperate central coast (Santa Cruz) to the extreme heat of Grass Valley. This summer has been endlessly hot with very little respite. We too think about where to move next. May end up further north on the coast than we really want to go. My twin brother has mentioned moving to Panama (another retirement place for people willing to leave the country). I want to stay in California.

    I've been reading some of your older posts and have deep sympathy for your loss. I burn a Yahrzeit candle every year for my father on the anniversary of his death. The candle burns for 24 hours. In the Jewish tradition we light it at sundown the night before. I also build a little altar with his favorite photos and books. It's a way to contain the grief and to honor him with love.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts