Wednesday, April 24, 2013

U - Take me out to the ballgame



 U is for Umpires


"Umpires are submerged in the history of baseball like idiot children in a family album."
   Furman Bisher

 

  Poor guys - they only have each other. 





If ever there was a profession I would NEVER want to be - that would be a major league baseball umpire. Do you see how everyone yells at that guy?  I mean right in their face - spitting and breathing all that bad breath on them. Could they get any closer? Boy talk about no respect.  It is a American-baseball-tradition to get in the Ump's face and SCREAM at the poor guy. Gee, all he is trying to do, is keep the rules and make them play fair. Kinda like the yard-lady at lunchtime recess at school.




It is a love/hate relationship baseball players have with their umpire. The fans hate them, yet they play a pivotal part of the game. Without the Umps, there would be no game.



Would you let someone yell at you for $84,000 to 300,000 a year?




http://www.therichest.org/sports/umpire/
http://www.sdabu.com/history_main.htm


12 comments:

  1. This scares me. My kid intends to umpire for little league this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the first year my (ex) husband started coaching GIRLS (junior high and younger) softball...he actually got an anonymous call at home one day, and all they said was:

    'did you know the only good umpire is a dead umpire?'

    WTF?! Seriously@?@?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. never was a umpire but I was the wife of a coach. I'd get calls complaining about my first husband all the time about how he needed to play their kid. It was crazy.

      Delete
  3. I could never be an ump, I would probably be in tears and we all know...There's no crying in baseball!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd either be in tears or they would get me so mad that I would cuss and swear and act horribly and then totally regret the way I handled it.

      Delete
  4. We are dealing with umpire issues in our Pony League. We even had an emergency board meeting last night to discuss the situation with the umpires for the city we inter-league with. Their umpires suck. If you are a good umpire and fair, no one screams at you. If you make bad calls, you deserve my wrath. However, even with the amount of money the major league umpires make, it is not worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. You really have to have a tough skin. Hope it all works out at the Pony League.

      Delete
  5. It sure is a tough job! Great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I would let anyone yell right in my face all day for that kind of money.
    Shawn at Laughing at Life 2 & Reading Practice

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts