Tuesday, April 16, 2013

N är för GR-Nanny




N is for Gr-Nanny

I was a live-out Nanny for 12 years and just left the profession last Dec. In those years I only worked for 2 families.

The first family was from Sweden.  When I first met the twins (boy/girl)  at the interview, they were naked, running around and they kept throwing their pacifiers at me. I could tell they were going to be fun. They were 2 years old.

 Dad and Mom only spoke Swenska at home so I did eventually understand some of what they said. Dad was a CEO at a Silicon Valley Company and Mom also worked as a Engineer in the Silicon Valley. They had a lovely home, but what struck me, and what I really liked, was how simple they were. I learned a lot from them -  about money. They always paid cash for their new vehicles. Did not use credit.  They also were vegetarians so I learned to make v-meals for the children.  She used to suggest that I write a vegetarian cookbook for children since there really wasn't that many at the bookstores back in the 90s. 

Mom could be high-strung and overly protective at times. But I knew how to eventually handle her. She actually turned out to be a Mom I respect.  She just was overwhelmed at first!  We came head to head many times in that first year but I came to be a very important person in their family as their twins grew and they added another child to the fold.  I was Grandma - the kids referred to me as their Gr-Nanny.

I still go down once or twice a year now, to stay with them as a friend/Gr-Nanny. The twins are now in High School. They will be 16 years old at the end of April.

I loved being a Nanny to this family and had we NOT had a family tragedy, that had us moving north, I would still be there as her personal assistant.  It was the BEST JOB I ever had. 


6 comments:

  1. How fun that you worked for a Swedish family, but they sound a bit odd :).
    I was an au-pair, and it was kinda weird. Handling parents was the hardest part. The first family was brilliant, the rest have been disasters. I think it's probably easier when you don't live with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh absolutely. Families tend to "own" their nannies, so living with them would be awful.

      Delete
  2. Sounds to me like you became a part of the family in a way.
    What great experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. I really enjoyed working with them.

      Delete
  3. This sounds like a great experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had such fun times. I just love those kids like they are my own.

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts