Monday, April 22, 2013

A-Z - Shasta - a Ghost town




Once upon a time there was a brand new town named Shasta. A bustling town in the 1850's to the 1880's. It was a active town of commerce as well as a major shipping point for mule trains and stagecoaches serving the miner towns and new settlements as they sprang up.  In 1849, gold was discovered near Shasta. At one time the town had 3500 people but when the railroad made the decision to bypass the town, it started the decline to "Ghost-town" status.




I love ghost-towns of the west and we have quite a few of them here in Northern California. Shasta is about 10 miles from me.  I love this little town, with it's brick ruins - it fascinates me every time we drive pass. 

Now it belongs to the State of California and with each new budget, they threaten to close it down. Right now it has a museum that is open to the public; along with the county courthouse and jail.

Save Old Shasta



8 comments:

  1. It's so fascinating, and somewhat creepy, with ghost towns, we don't have them here. We do have villages where people live only in the summer, but that's not the same. You can still see that there are people there sometimes to look after their houses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them and of course I love the history behind it.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE ghost towns. I'm kind of weird. Every time we drive to SF, I asked the Sarge if he would take me to Calico lol. What a cool story. and BOO to CA for trying to close down everything worth seeing. Gah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Virgina city in Nevada is awesome and Bodie.

      Delete
  3. VERY VERY cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This so interesting! Although I lived in CA for a few years, I had never been to Shasta. I love ghost towns too! Sure hope this historic site is saved. I hope to see it one day.
    Also, I nominated your blog for a Liebster blogger award. My post is quite long covering several awards and random facts, so look for it in Part 2. Even if you don’t do an award post (and believe me, I understand the time involved!), I hope the nomination brings a smile to your face! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been to a ghost town. I like to read ghost stories, though. (Mary Downing Hahn, for kids.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the old comstock hotel in Virginia City, Nv, "They say" there are ghosts that wander the hotel at night. I say I want to stay there but I keep chickening out.

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts