Tuesday, April 09, 2013

(A-Z) Home is home




I love home. I can't think of a better place to be, than to be at home. I find comfort here.  I get all out of kilter, if my home is not peaceful. It's not a particular beautiful home. Just a regular house, in a subdivision. I wish I had more yard - more land but this house is more than just that.

My home is special to me. After my mom died, my sister and I inherited this home. This was not the home I was raised in yet I felt a kinship to this home - I guess because I am a family-person too.  My sister wanted to sell - I wanted to keep it,  so we bought her half of the house. I think she was happy that I kept it.


Both my dad and my mom died in this house. Many today, think that is strange - I don't. Years ago, families lived in the homes where many had passed on. It's what makes a home.

 I am constantly trying to update it and to keep it from looking dowdy and try to put my stamp on it.  It gets frustrating at times.  But there are some things I will never change -
I love the waterfall in my backyard, that my dad made. I love our outdoor lanai that my dad fixed up. I see my folks all over the place. Bulbs that my dad and mom planted. I cried when we had to cut down the willow tree, my dad used to sit under, on a hot day.  I think of my Mom often, when I cook.  I even use many of her dishes, pots and pans, and utensils. I think it's neat that I still use bowls and silverware that my grandmother and mother used. I eat my morning cereal out of bowls I used as a child, along with the same spoons.And my morning coffee in mugs that were my mom's.

I am truly at peace here.



photo credit: Through the Lens of Kimberly Gauthier via photopin cc

16 comments:

  1. We bought my parents mobile home after my mom passed away. There are memories here. The mulberry trees that my mom planted are giant now and my grandson climbs them. I love the continuity of the next generation being in the same place. I can't tell anymore what's my stuff or my moms. I understand why it brings you peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow that is just so special. I like what you said about the continuity of the next generation.

      Delete
  2. I think homes that have a personal history are beautiful. We are renting an old house from the 40s that a couple lived in for most of their married life. It definitely has a lot of character!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awwwww. :: massive hugs ::

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's lovely that you live in a place surrounded by memories of your parents, using things they used to use. It's always good to put a stamp on somewhere decoration wise, to make it your own style but to retain the simple pleasures of memories too. I love the sound of the waterfall!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely post. I'm so glad you are at home in your home.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although I also love my home away from home, I still consider my parents` house “home”. I agree: there is no other better place!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is great that you love the connection to your parents that you find in your home. I miss my parents so much and they have been gone for years now. I think that is part of why I started researching my family history and writing stories about my parents. I still need a connection to them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with the rest of the A to Z blog Challenge! Your posts are great! I nominated you for a Liebster Blogging Award.. You can check the entry on my page: http://wordsandpalabras.wordpress.com/2013/04/10/i-is-for-i-got-an-award/

    Rebecca at Words And Palabras

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with the rest of the A to Z blog Challenge! Your posts are great! I nominated you for a Liebster Blogging Award.. You can check the entry on my page: http://wordsandpalabras.wordpress.com/2013/04/10/i-is-for-i-got-an-award/

    Rebecca at Words And Palabras

    ReplyDelete
  10. awh how lovely.
    What great memories you have of that house :)

    auntyamo
    http://ficticiousamo.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for using my image! It's so nice to see that someone liked it enough to post it on their blog! This was from one of my favorite days. I love willows and my boyfriend planted one for me at our new home after we moved in. And I've taken similar pictures (standing beneath) just this year.

    LOL

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts