Saturday, April 06, 2013

(A-Z) Conquering Fear





F is for Fear 

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - nameless, unreasoning, unjustified, terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance"  FDR March 1933


Fear was our enemy after the earthquake.  I had seen on the local news, how many were making the hike down to the epicenter in the Santa Cruz mountains. Since we loved the outdoors and hiking, I suggested we as a family, hike to the epicenter and conquer our fear. 

I guess I am a curious person - I wanted to see for myself where this power came from. 

I also believe the more you learn about your fear, you can come to peace with it as well as educated.  And since we were not leaving California, we needed to see for ourselves.

I was surprised at the many people who were there - many from Japan, young people from universities.  We packed a picnic lunch and stopped along the trail, and ate.  As we hiked closer to the epicenter,  I started seeing some destruction - trees toppled over,  some redwood's uprooted.  Many spots in the forest were disheveled and then other parts looked serene and peaceful. And then we saw it.  


No biggie. Just a sign. That was it??????? 

We were pleased with ourselves that  "we came, we saw, we conquered."

I don't take earthquakes lightly anymore. I know the power they have to totally reduce everything to nothing in a matter of seconds! But I won't live in fear. It's just a fact of life.  I am much more comfortable, living with earthquakes than I would be, with tornadoes, hurricanes and floods.  And quite frankly,  I like not knowing when a earthquake is coming.  (Ignorance is bliss?) You don't have time to worry or stress out and if you are PREPARED then you are already in a good position.










15 comments:

  1. Last night I asked my guys,"Which disaster would you rather deal with...earthquakes, tornadoes, or hurricanes?". They said hurricanes, since you have the most time to prepare.

    Your blog inspired a family discussion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right about knowledge and preparedness being the best ways to fight fear. I have a fear of heights and I can't figure out where it came from; when I was a teen I adored riding the ferris wheel....I just couldn't get enough of it. Apparently I wasn't afraid back then. Now I get that sickening feeling in the pit of my stomach and weak-kneed even seeing pictures of a view that's high up. And also I have a fear of spiders and snakes but I think that one is common. Good informative post. Scary for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fear snakes but I am trying to educate myself as to what to do, when I do encounter a rattler. We have so many in my area. In the summer, they sometime slither into the garages to cool down from the heat. It's time for me to just know what to do instead of dreading when it will happen. Because odds are, it will happen. So I want to know how to deal with it.

      Delete
  3. Earthquakes are something that I don't want to deal with. There are tornadoes here and I would rather have those. But, I have grown up knowing what to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. same for us and earthquakes. Now get me someplace with tornadoes or hurricanes and I would be freaking out.

      Delete
  4. I've spent over 60 years with a pervading feeling of dread and fear. If there was nothing to fear, then I felt I was missing a clue or two. If I could have spent half that time just breathing instead of chewing on my lip, I could have gotten some much needed rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a new follower of your blog. Funny stuff. I might even go out and get your new book. Sounds good! and Thanks for dropping by. I might not ever have found you otherwise.

      Delete
  5. I can see why you would want to visit the epicentre, how soon after the event did you do this? I've not experienced an earthquake and not really sure how I would prepare for it if it did happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It happened Oct 17 1989 and we went the 2nd weekend in Jan. 1990. About 10 weeks later.

      Delete
  6. Interesting take on being ok with Earthquakes for the ignorance is bliss part. I can understand that though. Stopping by from the A-Z challenge. I enjoyed your blog. I'll definitely be stopping by again. Happy Sunday.
    Elliot
    We Are Adventure

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also would live in fear after an earthquake.. or all the time if I lived in an area where there's always the risk for earthquakes. I'm terrified of natural disasters in general.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting that they put up a sign for the epicenter. I'll have to check out some of our local sites.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts