Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Early to bed - early to rise





Today is my sisters birthday. I remember when she was born. I was 5 years old. I can't say, I was happy to see her because I wasn't. After being the first-born-only-child for 5 years, I really did feel I was being replaced. I was just starting to go through my "ugly, awkward stage" and here's this cute little soft whipper snapper, bright-eyed and ready to take me on.

It also didn't help matters, when Grandma told me, I wasn't "the Baby any more". which crushed me and had me seek refuge under the dining room table. My mom had to coax me out telling me how much she loved me.

I also remember sleeping in the crib. My sister was using the bassinet.  Weird, that I can actually remember sleeping in a crib. 

Throughout the years, I kinda grew to love that little sister - although we had some knock-down-drag-out fights now and then. She was the girly girl and I wasn't. She was the neat one and I wasn't. Okay and in the spirit of the Smothers Brothers (oh boy does this date me) Mom always loved her best!

She's had a tough life -  a victim of domestic violence - not once but twice, with 2 different husbands. Husband # 3 was her kindergarten first love - they found each other again through classmates. They married and on their 5th wedding anniversary, she woke up to find him dead, laying next to her in bed.  Later that day, flowers arrived from him - that he had pre-arranged.  We found out, he took a overdose of pain-killers. It was suicide.  My poor little sister was devastated. All she ever wanted was to be loved.

So far she did find a new man. They are in Colorado and from what I can see, he is good to her. She is happy.

Bless her heart - I hope she has a awesome day.







10 comments:

  1. It sounds like your little sister has had it rough. So did mine, she had one commit suicide, and the next three have died.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sounds like my sister. I hope your sister is doing well now.

      Delete
  2. Great photo! Happy Birthday to your sister. What a tragic life she has had! My heart goes out to her. No one should have to go through what she went through. I truly hope she can continue to be happy with her new love in Colorado. I am no stranger to adversity but mine was completely different.

    I have three younger sisters (and two brothers). I’m the oldest too and know exactly what you mean about how you felt when the next one came along lol! Loved the Smothers Brothers!! (OK, dates me too lol!) Loved that clip, thanks for the memories. It goes very well with my morning coffee. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Smothers Brothers were so funny.

      Delete
  3. That's sad. I hope your sister is happy now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too - she says she is. :-)

      Delete
  4. How sad. I truly hope your sister finds happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sad story,I do hope she's found happiness now. Thanks for stopping by and joining my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and thank you for stopping by mine. Nice to meet you Anne.

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts