Friday, January 11, 2013

The Flu



No I don't have it, nor do I know anyone that does but I am hearing we have quite a outbreak here in California. I'm a borderline germ freak -  I also have mixed emotions about vaccines. The verdict is not conclusive whether or not vaccines prevent the flu. In fact, it seems like the vaccine only prevents flu's from the past and not all of the flu's.  The big question is - which is worse for your health? The actual flu or the side effects from the vaccine?

No I think I have decided to go with a vaccine. I figure, being a 50's kid, we got all these vaccines and they worked. I never got polio - I'll just have to take my chances. One year I got the flu and I passed out, hit my head - my blood pressure plummeted to such a low level, the EMT could not get a pulse from me and my heart rate was just a smidgen above DEAD.  I almost died - not from the flu but because I have low blood pressure to begin with. Scary stuff.

I never used to get the shot. And this is the first year, in about 3 years that I decided I have been walking a thin line - so I went with the shot this past Oct or Nov. I can't remember. I sure hope it works.






photo credit: Eneas via photopin cc

4 comments:

  1. I've never had the flu. But since I've been spending time in the schools, I get the shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah I think that is wise. Kids are big germ carriers. :-)

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear you got the shot. I wouldn't be without one. I get one faithfully every year. Glad I did this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I am glad I did too. So far I have not heard anybody within our friends who have gotten sick - hopefully they all got the flu shot too.

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts