Friday, January 25, 2013

Elsewhere

tired? or retired?


Seems lately, all I hear about is -  talk of retirement. We used to refer to it as the Big R. It seemed to be "out-there" and just not that easily attainable. I've always been one, who would say that I will probably never retire. I will be working at some capacity - not because I have to; more because I just want to.

I always thought I would retire in this house.  But with taxes going up up up and entitlements we would be eligible for, going down down down - it is looking more and more like, we may have to leave California and retire elsewhere.

And just where would "elsewhere" be?  Looking for a state that does not tax Social Security, retirement pensions; military pensions or out-of-state pensions. No State income tax would be nice for a change.

  • Nevada
  • Alaska
  • Florida
  • Texas
  • Washington
  • Wyoming

How much time do we have to make this decision?  11 more years. And a lot can happen in 11 years. The State of California could of already gone off our own fiscal cliff or we fell into the pacific ocean! Honestly hoping none of that happens because I do love California - however, many times I ask myself, "Why?"

Is it that, it's the only state I know intimately?  I am a Californian, thus I think like a Californian - in many ways. I know I had major culture shock, moving from San Francisco to semi-rural Northern California. I did surprise myself though - I love it here. Granted, I do miss the excitement the bay area offers, and the multiple things to do. How much is THAT worth to me? Or will it finally be time to make that "pioneer" move - to a new territory.

 To be continued...

http://www.retirementliving.com/taxes-by-state


photo credit: Bradley N. Weber via photopin cc

6 comments:

  1. Just off the top of my head, I would pick Washingtion or Alaska. Doesn't Wyoming have a lot of bears? Maybe there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you like Bears? Alaska is too cold and expensive. Washington is too darkish and rainy (except for the eastern half - Spokane) but I think they have a problem with skinheads. Wyoming? I don't know that much about it.

      I'm thinking Nevada. I'm thinking, sitting on my porch, looking west toward the Sierras, watching wild mustang.

      Texas NO - and Florida - No. I don't like alligators or swamps or extreme humidity.

      Delete
  2. We have thought of moving more than once. A state with no income tax would be nice. But, really figuring in the cost of living, Iowa is still a lot better than some other states. Our income would have to go up to afford other places so we stay here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always thought Iowa was a pretty state when we would drive through.

      Delete
  3. My husband and I went to San Fran, Yosemite, Monterey, Carmel...I love Northern California and I always say it would be cool to retire there and open a little art/photography gallery. A girl can dream! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha, you and everyone else. That's one of the problems too. It's hard to start a small business here. NOT business friendly at all.

      I love northern California - well the whole doggone state really - and would love to stay but with money these days being so tight, it's not looking good. Have to keep my options open.

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts