Saturday, December 08, 2012

Happy Hanukkah




So in our house - we observe Hanukkah. That comes from The Husband - he loves to do both, Christmas and Hanukkah. As for me, I have no emotional ties to it - no history, no past, no memories. I do it, along with the Husband because I love him, and this is what he wants. (Plus I agreed to this, when we married)

It does make for some confusion.  I think our neighbors don't know what we are!  There's the nativity outside and a menorah in the window!

We don't do the gift-giving of Hanukkah.  We do send out cards to our friends that observe.  We always go to our local Jewish synagogue (they know us there) and we party!  Each person brings their own Hanukkah Menorah, and light the first candle together in unity.  We read the Maccabees - discuss and then afterwards, we eat and fellowship.   A buffet of cheesecakes, blitzes and latkas - assorted cheeses and jelly doughnuts!  Gentiles, Jews, Christians, and Messianic -  all becoming one.  No religious talk - no debate. Just mutual respect and fun. 

I wish I did have Hanukkah in my past and could embrace it fully.



2 comments:

  1. Happy Hanukkah. I hope everything turns out okay with hubby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I feel better today and yes, I do too hope it all turns out to be nothing.

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts