Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Christians and Christmas

or is it?


It is not what it used to be for me. I'm not talking, about when I was a child or when I was a young Mommy with my little boys - What I am talking about is controversial. 

When I was a kid, we never went to church. Never. Not even for Christmas and Easter. I always felt kinda yucky - since back then everyone went to church. I guess I wanted that holiday unity, you have with other believers - like a family thing.  My mom always told me, we were Christians.  Mom had a nativity, that she loved and I would help her set it up. (On top of the TV set)  I kid you not!
My Christian education consisted  of movies; King of Kings, the Ten Commandments,  Greatest Story Ever Told, Ben Hur and The Robe. Later I added Jesus of Nazareth to conclude my version of a proper Christian education.

When I was 30,  the light came on for me. So I found a church that suited me and made me feel welcome, even though I was such a rookie. (That first year, I gained 10 lbs due to all the pot-lucks I went to)

During that first Christmas season - after I started to believe -  I was now part of that "family" celebration, that deep down, I had longed for.

Okay so don't laugh at me - but no one ever told me, that Jesus was not really born on December 25.  I don't think my mom and dad even knew that.  Yeah, some religious Christian, who felt she was more spiritual, than me, just had to tell me.  It crushed me. I liken it to,  a child when told, there is no such thing as Santa.  So you mean that on midnight on December 25, when I would stand outside - look up at the stars - and meditate - and I felt that divine presence - that it was all my imagination? 

It's probably been about 15 years now - I not only see the world, coming against the "Christ" in Christmas but to my dismay, Christians who are coming out against Christmas, because of it's pagan roots.  I understand, why Constantine tried to substitute the popular pagan festival and started observing the miracle of Jesus - Was that so bad?  His intentions are subject to debate.  He became a Christian and he wanted to celebrate the birth - but not during the time, most believe the birth took place, which would be in and around Sukkot or Rosh Hashanah- lets face it, the Jews were hated and anything that remotely reeked kosher was ruled out. “Toi, toi, toi!"


Every December,  for the past 15 years,  I start hearing all the arguments about why we should not observe Christmas.  

"It's a man-made holiday!"
"It's not even commanded in the bible"
"He wasn't even born on Dec. 25"
"It's a pagan holiday, with pagan roots and rituals". 


Now this is my problem. I don't want to give up Christmas and all the traditions I hold so dear, yet I don't like the fact that most of those beloved traditions are pagan in orgin.  Even though these "bitter-brethren" had to pop-my-christmas-bubble -  God can use anything for His glory.  Why can't we just make the best out of a unfortunate time in our past.  Accept what we are left with.  What about "traditions?" Okay, so He wasn't born on Dec. 25. Why do some feel they need to rain on my Jesus parade?

I have scaled down Christmas in the last 20 years - I used to decorate my house - it looked like Mrs Claus lived there. My excuse: I had a daycare in my home and I like to be festive.  Years ago, I would of had my tree up by now. I have nothing. I am in my own little quandary. My husband loves Christmas - and wants to continue to "keep it."  I do believe ignorance is bliss. It was much more meaningful to me, when I truly "BELIEVED".




4 comments:

  1. Hi I enjoyed reading this post. But I have to say that I am one of those people that absolutely I refuse to let anyone rain on my parade. Christmas is my favorite time of the year. Does it really matter whether Jesus was born on December 25th. We can still celebrate his birth, even if it was June 8 or any other day. December 25th is the date we celebrate and I will continue to do so. I hate that they are taking Christ out of Christmas and instead of Merry Christmas, it's happy holidays. If in America, and you don't like how we do things, go back to your country and do things your way there. I think Christmas lives in your heart anyway, so its ok to celebrate December 25th as Christ birthday. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lenetta, thanks for reading. Like I said, it's bad enough when atheists and all want to get rid of Christmas, I kinda expect that, whether I like it or not, but now we have Christians who now are bashing it - it's just sad all the way around.

      Delete
  2. It's easy to tell you to celebrate however you want, but it's not all that easy to do. Years ago, we met a wonderful Christian family in the neighborhood. We became great friends. The first Christmas after meeting, we decided to have a big Christmas craft day with the kids. I about fell over when she said that she would appreciate it if we kept the songs and crafts to the secular Christmas. Her church doesn't celebrate the Christian holidays, as it isn't in the Bible to do so. In my secluded little world, I never heard such a thing. It was a bit awkward for me at first, but in the end it worked out. We had Christmas craft day every year.
    The beauty of America is that we are all allowed to worship (or not) as we choose. The sometimes downside is that lots of people with different ideas feel the need to tell you their beliefs. It is good to question and pray and ponder, but sometimes there are just too many ideas messing up my brain.
    You are celebrating Christmas to honor Jesus. I can't see that as a bad thing.
    I say, "Put up the tree!"
    I do believe that's the longest comment I've ever written on a post.
    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I thank you and appreciate the long comment. I enjoyed reading it.

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts