Saturday, November 17, 2012

Day 6. Where have you worked?



Lets get this straight - I don't like "jobs" and I really don't like having bosses.  I would rather, work for myself. and that is the way it has mostly been all my working life.  I consider myself a Scrapper.  

After high school graduation, I landed a good job working at a big dental insurance - Back then, you didn't need college. It was called "On the Job Training".  I worked in the mail room as a clerk - moved up to a Correspondent Clerk in the "complaint department".  A Claims Expediter. (looking for lost claims - literally) and a Claims Auditor. I was taught how to read x-rays and I knew all the terminology and insurance procedures.

I left there, and went to work for a Dentist - who trained me for chair-side assistant but I hated it.  I hated putting my hands in people's mouths. They didn't use gloves back then. (Yuck)  I also worked as a dental receptionist. Bottom-line, I just do not like the dental profession.

When my boys were young, I did licensed daycare in my home - for 16 years.  I ran my own business and it was the BEST job I ever had.  It supported me during the last years of my marriage and when I was a single parent, raising 3 teenage boys.  I even sent my oldest to college without any help from his dead-beat dad - just on my daycare business.  * throughout those years I did manage to complete my ECE certificate to teach preschool.

Then I closed shop and became a (and still am)  Nanny. I've been doing that for close to 14 years.  All total close to 30 years in the Early childhood education field. I enjoy being a Nanny as well but I think that the family I am working with now, will be my last.  I work about 1-2 days a week, 5-10 hours. I also am starting to pet sit - I love animals and who knows, I might just start a pet sitting business.

I've worked at Macy's California for 3 years in the children's world department. (Loved it)  For about 3-4 years I had a wood craft business - doing Art and Wine fairs, selling my wares.  I've sold Avon off and on for many years (I sell it now) and I also am a Barefoot Books Ambassador.(children's books)

And, it's crazy, that I still do not know what I want to be when I grow up.

4 comments:

  1. I could never work as a dental assistant. Reception maybe. But I can't deal with people's mouths. ICK. I've always worked for someone else, thus far, although I am a freelance writer for my grandparents monthly magazine. I've worked at worker's comp insurance as a file clerk, an office receptionist, kennel attendant, and retail sales associate all while going to college. Then I worked as a lab tech for 7 years on graveyard and decided I was sick and tired of it and went to work for my grandparents cattle ranch and publication and also as a vet receptionist. Now I'm a vet receptionist and a tech. And it's very comforting to know that there are others who never really know what they want to do when they "grow up"! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow, I have always wanted to be a freelance writer. To me that would be the perfect job. That and anything having to do with art and crafts. I am more of the creative bend...

      Delete
  2. I've had many jobs. Baby Sitter, Candy Striper, Amusement Park Worker, Lifeguard, Fast Food Worker, Meeting Room Setter Upper, Bookstore Worker, Engineering Aide, Human Resources Rep, Health Club Child Care Asst, School Traffic Monitor, Lunchroom Monitor, and Substitute Teacher.

    The worst: Lemonade Stand at Amusement Park with 10,000 bees.
    The best: Is yet to come.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts