Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Day 2 - Where did you grow up? Small town or Big City?




 THE  CITY -

I lived in the (Haight-Ashbury) San Francisco for part of my childhood and then when things started to really get fun weird for my folks, we moved to a small beach town just south.  I hated it at first. We city kids had a different type of play. Like, we would ring all apartments - wait for the tenants to buzz the main door to open.  There would be all these buzz's... We'd roller skate in parking garages.  We would spit on streetcars, as they went into the tunnel.  We would turn in our soda-pop bottles and buy candy at the Chinese mom and pop store down the street. We played with their children and grandchildren all the time. We'd all line up outside Jose's house as his Mom would hand out freshly made tortillas and butter. I loved the smell of tar on warm days - that was "summer in the city" to me. The hustle and the bustle and the different people who would walk by our flat. One lady who looked like the witch in the wizard of Oz, walked really fast and would SPIT.  We called her the Spit-Lady. I guess we all had the compulsion to spit back then...

From a early age, I saw same sex couples, lived around people of different nationalities, cultures and religions. I learned about earthquakes, and we wore dog-tags in school.  I lived among beatniks, Gypsies, and Italian restaurants.  And when we would drive in city, we would pass North Beach - home of the Topless Bars and strip clubs.




SMALL TOWN

Then we moved to this sleepy coastal town.  Quiet.  BORING!  It was July and all the kids were on vacation so I didn't get a chance to find friends until school.  My new friends soon showed me how to have fun, the small-town-way, and I did grow to LOVE it.

There was the Dairy, we would all go for ice cream. It had a old porch with a squeaky screen door that would slam.  We would trek down the creek to the ocean - we would trespass on farmers property and climb trees or pick veggies.  A few times, the farmer had to get out his pellet gun.  That was always exciting!  Of course the beach was always there. I lived just 2 miles from the ocean.  My dad loved to fish for sea bass.  Someone would announce in our neighborhood that the "Bass was running" and all the dad's would get into their trucks, take us kids - and we'd go down and watch them fish - have a big bon fire and a fish fry.

We would eat fresh artichokes, lettuce and strawberries, grown on the coast and throw pumpkins out on the coast highway after a football game in the Fall.

Now my sleepy little coastal town is a bit bigger and a tourist destination, with high class hotels and trendy expensive, beach-front rentals and the Worlds Nicest Taco Bell




4 comments:

  1. Hello thanks for stopping by my blog:)) I have always wanted to go to San Francisco......Thanks for sharing and nice to meet ya, look forward to reading more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JoAnna - thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Me too! I've always wanted to visit San Fran and I'd probably try to spit on the street cars being an adult. lol

    I'm a small town girl and love it. I used to be ashamed of it but now I embrace it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love small towns. My cousins lived in a small town in Indiana and I loved to go back during the summer. It was fun.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts