Friday, September 21, 2012

A Nanny Moment -



Ahhhhhhhh the memories of  the children in my care, that I hold dear. 

Children can be, just about the best thing there is...sometimes.  They are brutally honest - have absolutely no tact,  and say what they mean and mean what they say!

I remember when I first had to come to grips about getting older. Of course, just because I felt young, act crazy, dance and make children laugh - I guess I had the false security that I appeared young to my little "charges". 

One day, 4 year old twins, Max and Stella were sitting with me on the sofa. Affectionate children, they would hug me, cuddle with me and tell me how much they loved me. As a Nanny, I loved this. My own children were teenagers - and I was a single Mom so I had no one at that time, hugging or cuddling with me.

Then reality paid a visit:

Stella "What are all those lines on your face?"
Max   "Why do you have spots on your hands?"

Honest, I had never realized those issues were noticeable.  That night I went home and stared at myself in the mirror and sure enough there they were - lines on my face and brown/tan spots on my hands. I was getting older.  It really shook me up but in a good way.  I started letting them know that I was starting to get older but I was still me.  That's when Max started referring to me as his "Gra-Nanny".  And now at age 14, he still calls me that.  When I visit, they love for me to sit down with them and tell them things they said. I imitate them when they were little and they just laugh. 

A few years later, their younger sister, Maya was about the same age - when she looked up at me, and said,

"How come you got hair in your nose?"

I think I like dogs and cats better!

2 comments:

  1. My son sold me my neck looked like an iguana when I was about 40.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts