Wednesday, August 22, 2012

at 24,000 acres - 50% contained



The Ponderosa fire is not the only fire in our area. Approximately 17 fires,  are burning in our area.  Yesterday I had such a headache and felt nauseated from the smell of smoke. I do hesitate to complain too much - thinking of the people who have lost homes and of course the brave fire-fighters who have to work in all of that.

My son is attending a fire-technology program in college.  I don't know if I want him to do it.  But I keep my mouth shut.  It's actually hard to get into - so even if he completes it, the odds of him actually getting a job is slim.  He had told me he was going to change his major but classes start today and he said, he was going to give it one more semester. 

They have these smoke-jumpers, that really amaze me. What bravery! Yeah, if my son was applying for a job like that, Mom would have to speak up. (not that he would listen)

4 comments:

  1. Those fires are amazing. I have never had to deal with something like that. We live on the coast so our worst threat is annual hurricanes. I hear one is coming our way next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah in their own way, they are actually beautiful. This one was a mean fire - they say they each have a personality and this one was hot and bent on destruction. I've never been in a hurricane or a tornado. Just earthquakes and fires and some flooding. My parents had a mud slide once - lost like 16 ft of their backyard into the creek!

      Delete
  2. My soldier son got to his new duty station at Colorado Springs 10 days before their big fire. I said something about learning how to fight fires and he informed me that he had already gone through that training last summer here in WA. What really freaked me out what the night he had to patrol the evacuated housing- what about the fire, looters, ?!?!! I just have to leave him to God and remind myself of something my mom told me when he first enlisted,"There is no safer place to be than in the Will of God and no more dangerous place to be if you are outside His Will." His being in the Army is where he is supposed to be so I have to trust that its all for good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The looters would scare me way more!

      Delete

Comments are good - I admit, sometimes I don't respond back, in time for a dialog. I bad! I will TRY and do better. Thanks for understanding.

Popular Posts